Friday, October 7, 2011

THAT mom

Sometimes, it's good to be knocked down a notch.  I have become THAT mom.  The one I used to look at and think, "why can't you get your act together?"  The one who forgets to look at the lunch menu and gets her kid to school late.  The one who sends her kid to school with a fever because her thermometer is broken and she can't remember to buy a new one.  The one whose car always needs to be washed.  The one who returns library books late.

Maybe... She never EVER gets enough sleep.  Maybe she needs lots of caffeine and medication to get through the day.  Maybe she's struggling to do everything on her own with 2 small kids.  Maybe she counts down the minutes until her boys are in bed, and she can finally let a few tears fall.  Maybe her kids drive her so completely insane, she can't wait to get away from them.  And then after awhile, she physically hurts being away from them and can't wait to get them back home. 

Maybe she used to always have her life together (at least on the outside), and then her world turned completely upside down.  Maybe her whole world has revolved around being a mommy, and she feels guilty of any "me" time.  Maybe she always knew in the back of her mind there was a reason she never made a wedding scrapbook (not one single photo in the album).  Maybe she got tired of being an average wife when she truly believed she could be a better one with someone else.  Maybe she realized she could be happier alone.  And then maybe she feels selfish for wanting to be happy...

And maybe she finally realized it's okay if you don't always have everything together.  It's okay if your nail polish is chipped and your couch is covered in crumbs (just please dear God, do NOT look under the cushions).  And it's not selfish to be happy and "me" time is important. 

So, the next time you're behind a dirty car with one kid getting out just as the bell rings (possibly without his homework) and another kid in the backseat screaming his head off, just remember it might be THAT mom.  Hell, it might even be me because I am THAT mom, and I'm okay with it.  In fact, I'm Just Peachy :)

4 comments:

  1. Girl!!! I love it!! I guess, maybe, because I am THAT mom, too. You know what, we'll be okay, and if our house is messy, our cars are too, who cares? Because our boys will never wonder if they were loved by their mommies.

    More stuff to go along with THAT mom - maybe she's just trying to make it because her ex is a/an . . . insert expletive of choice here. Maybe THAT mom is struggling to make ends meet without her boys ever knowing it was a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very proud of you! This is a great idea! I look forward to following you. Remember, you are not alone! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Scarlett! I think we are all THAT mom. It's so good to know we are not alone in these thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, am THAT Mom, Scarlett....you explained it perfectly! Thanks for sharing and helping all of us moms feel not so alone in our thinking. I make a point now to take one night a week for just me time and I don't feel guilty at all anymore...not even a little bit. Feels good! :) Stay strong, Scarlett! :)

    ReplyDelete